Welcome to the elections and voter information page for the City of Baxter.
Presidential Nomination Primary Election
The Presidential Primary will be held on Tuesday, March 3, 2020. For more information, please visit the Minnesota Secretary of States website at: https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/how-elections-work/presidential-primary/
Where Do I Go To Vote?
Voters in the P2W Precinct will no longer vote at Forestview Middle School. Due to safety concerns, ISD 181 asked the City of Baxter to find an alternate location to conduct elections. Lakewood Evangelical Free Church, 6284 Fairview Road, was willing to allow the City to conduct elections in their facility and the facility met all of the requirements to be a polling location. Beginning with the August 14, 2018 Primary Election, voters in the P2W Precinct will now vote at Lakewood Evangelical Free Church. The remaining polling locations remain unchanged. The other polling locations include: P1W Baxter City Hall, P1E Lord of Life Lutheran Church, and P2E Heritage Church.
Qualifications for Voting
You may register and vote in Minnesota on the next Election Day if you:
• will be at least 18-years-old on Election Day
• are a citizen of the United States
• will have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day
• have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed
• are not under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights
• have not been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law
If you are not registered to vote, you may go to the Crow Wing County Auditor’s office for a registration card or stop in at Baxter City Hall to get one.
Candidates for City Offices
Generally, a candidate for elective office must meet all of the following criteria:
- A qualified voter in the state of Minnesota
- A U.S. citizen
- At least 21 years of age on the date they would take office
- A resident of the City of Baxter for 30 days before the election.
Any person eligible to hold elective office in the City of Baxter may file an affidavit of candidacy at Baxter City Hall and pay the $15 fee during the filing period.
Campaign Finance Reports For Candidates for City Officers
Under Minnesota Statute 211A.02, candidates, committees, and corporations that receive and/or spend more than $750 in a calendar year must file a campaign finance report. If a person does not receive or spend $750 or more, no report is required.
Per Minnesota Statute 211A.02, Subd. 6, campaign finance reports for local candidates will be made available on this website for four years after they have been filed with the City Clerk’s office.
Information on campaign finance reports is public and will be posted as they are received.
Become an Election Judge
Election judges are responsible for administering election procedures in each polling place on Election Day. Serving as an election judge is a great opportunity to serve our community and to be involved in the election process.
Election Judge Requirements
- You must be eligible to vote in Minnesota
- You must be able to read, write and speak English
- You must complete a training session
- Must not be the spouse; parent, including a stepparent; child, including a stepchild; or sibling, including a stepsibling, of any other judge in the same precinct or of any candidate.
- Must not be domiciled, either permanently or temporarily, with any candidate on the ballot at that election.
- Must not be a candidate for elective office in the same election.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in serving as an election judge, please complete the Election Judge Application. Send your completed application 2020 Election Judge Training Application to: City of Baxter Elections, 13190 Memorywood Drive, Baxter, MN 56425 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.