Residential Private City Utility Connection Financing Program
Borrower Eligibility Requirements
An applicant or applicants requesting financial assistance for connection to municipal water and/or sewer services for the Financing Program must meet the following:
- The subject parcel to be connected must be an existing, homesteaded, residential single-family dwelling (“Property”) owned and occupied by the applicant or applicants (“Homeowner”).
- The Homeowner must be current on the property taxes and any outstanding assessments levied against the Property.
- If the Property has an established utility account with non-user services, the account must be current.
- A non-user status was created as a result of the Property previously being serviced with private well and/or septic and in existence prior to the construction of a city-driven water and/or sewer utility project.
- The Homeowner must demonstrate the current household income for the Property does not exceed the fiscal year’s Median Family Income (“MFI”) figure for Crow Wing County, as defined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), for the same year. The current household income limit is $59,400.
- A completed city application with a copy of the most recent complete federal tax return verifying the Homeowner’s annual household income must be submitted to the City of Baxter Finance Department requesting financing assistance for the city utility connection.
- The Homeowner must select a licensed contractor to perform the utility connection and submit a copy of the quote he/she obtained from said licensed contractor. The quote should include any related city connection fees and/or permits.
- Upon a review of the application and supporting documentation and verification of eligibility, the Department of Finance will make a recommendation for the City Council to consider an Agreement with the Homeowner. Funding for the Financing Program is limited to the City Council’s annual budget appropriation. Upon Council approval, an Agreement for the private connection to city utilities will be executed with the Homeowner.
- The Homeowner will be responsible for coordinating the connection with the contractor. Upon completion and City verification of the private city utility connection and execution of the Agreement, the City will reimburse the Homeowner for the documented, quoted contractor costs. The Homeowner will be responsible directly for any payments to the contractor.
- The City will certify the outstanding assessment to the county auditor for collection beginning with the following year’s property taxes. The assessment will include reimbursed documented contractor charges, related city permits and fees, and capitalized interest. For specific items included in the assessment and other provisions of the assessment and process, please see the complete policy, specifically the “Financing Program Terms and Conditions” and “Financing Process” sections.
Questions Regarding the Process?
Contact the City of Baxter Department of Finance at 218.454.5100 or by email at email@example.com